Wadi Howar, Sudan
Siwa Oasis, Egypt
You are here: Home
Welcome to the IGU Commission for
"Arid Lands, Humankind, and Environment".
We want to:
- Promote the study of geographical problems in Arid Lands.
- Monitor Human and Environmental changes in Arid Lands.
- Build a database for these works related to the arid lands to facilitate and promote future research.
- Support comprehensive fieldwork in arid regions.
- Develop academic and research networks and cooperate with other project (e.g. DesertNet, UNCCD, ACACIA, IGCP 500, INQUA).
- Promote standardization and compatibility of methods, nomenclature and symbols employed by geographers and other interrelated disciplines.
- Organize meetings to bring together geographers;especially to re-establish better interactions with colleagues in the Arab world those have not much participated in the IGU
Download the new AHE Reports 2009-2012 (click here)
International Geographical Congress in Cologne, Germany, August 26-30, 2012
The meeting of our commission will be held in Cologne, Germany, in the course of the International Congress (www.igc2012.org) during the session „Human-Nature Interaction in Arid Lands and their margins“
|Report on a meeting of members of the Commission “Arid Lands, Humankind, and Environment” and on a field trip to the Farafra Sandsea as part of the project „Egyptian Sand Accumulations“, March 2010" (click here)